Saturday, October 22, 2011

A new toy and easy lamingtons

My new toy is an iPad!  It's wonderful for sitting in the recliner at night and being able to be online and search around the net and catch up on facebook!  I used to do that with my iPhone but it's great to have a bigger screen. We are off on holidays in a couple of weeks so it will be packed in my bag. I will need to check how to load photos in case I want to do a post while I'm away,


As well as being a toy it is also for work purposes...The ever increasing smartphones and tablets mean I need to make sure the websites I build work on those platforms and I'm also learning about developing mobile applications, so it's not just all leisure!!!

The rose in the above picture is one of my first Pierre de Ronsards which are really starting to take off now that the warmer weather has come along. Here they are starting to climb up the trellis.

It's always exciting to get a special looking envelope in the mail with an invitation inside. We recieved this lovely wedding invitation this week.


LAMINGTONS
And last weekend I made some lamingtons the way my Mum used to make them. You buy the plain unfilled sponges and cut them up. Simmer 3 ingredients together and coat the sponge with the mixture and coat with coconut. They make a lovely crunchy coating not like the soft ones you buy in the shop.



The chocolate mixture is...(wait for it, it's quite naughty!!!).
3 cups sugar, 3/4 cup water, 3 dessertspoons of cocoa. Place in saucepan and bring to boil. Allow to cool slightly before coating the sponge. I use a slotted spoon to dip the sponges into the mixture and then toss into coconut. These freeze really well too. I wrap them individually in glad wrap. Ideal for lunchboxes.



7 comments:

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Annette you have made me hungry,they look so yummy,your roses are beautiful.

Naturally Carol said... Reply to comment

Hi Annette, I've just written this recipe down, I've been looking for this for a long time! The invitation you received is so beautiful, I hope you have a great time attending.

Jo said... Reply to comment

Hi Netty,
So you finally got an Ipad you have been talking about it for awhile,I can see it would be very handy.
mmm those lamingtons look yummy.

Becky said... Reply to comment

Hi Annette,Yummy good stuff.Love the envelope,loving the chocolate just jotted that down.That would be nice to make for Christmas.


Blessings for a great weekend.

Mariette's Back to Basics said... Reply to comment

Dearest Annette,

Oh you are so smart and ahead of many of us... Trying to stay savvy is hard at times.
Your roses are stunning; perfect buds and colors.
As for the sweets, I cannot partake with my diabetic type II; way too much sugar in them.

Love to you,

Mariette

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said... Reply to comment

Hi Annette,
Your roses are lovely and I bet they smell lovely too. Your lamingtons really look yummy. Thanks for your visit and I hope you're enjoying the weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Pip said... Reply to comment

The ipad is great, I just love mine, great idea using a slotted spoon for lifting the lamingtons out of the chocolate mix, much better than tongs I would think.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...